Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Plant Room update


Plant Room project update

This artistic research project explores the decline of flora of South East Queensland with a particular focus on the Ipswich area: examining five native plants to the area which are currently listed as Endangered.

In order to find out more about endangered plants I met with staff from the Queensland Herbarium who provided a list of endangered plants from South East Queensland region.

I then began research to establish which plants on the list were located in the Ipswich and surrounding areas.  I decided to select (5) five plant species to become the focus of my artworks for The Plant Room project.

The five endangered species I decided to select for the project are:

1.  Plectranthus habrophyllus
2.  Notelaea ipsviciensis (Cooneana Olive)
3.  Planchonella eerwah (Shiny leaved condoo, Black plum, Wild Apple)
4.  Gossia gonoclada (Angle-stemmed myrtle)
5.  Melaleuca irbyana (Swamp tea-tree)

I am now into my third month at the Mt Cootha Botanic Gardens artist in residence and have undertaken both research and conceptual trials to develop works for the Plant Room project.  For more information on the progression of the project please click on the "Plant Room" tab on the left side bar under the title "Artworks and Projects".

No comments:

Post a Comment